Saturday, October 15, 2011

whole grain gingerbread pancakes



I don't get people who say they don't eat breakfast.  Seriously?  I can't remember a time I didn't eat breakfast.  From my memories as a child where my mom prepared breakfast for six little ones before ushering us off to school every morning, to today, where I make breakfast for Michael and I everyday before we both rush out the door to work. 



Today when I got up for breakfast, there was no rushing off to anywhere so after my morning run, I felt this morning deserved pancakes.  Not your average typical run of the mill pancake though.  This cool fall morning deserved a spicy with the right amount of sweet kind of pancake.  This recipe is definitely a keeper.

Whole Grain Gingerbread Pancakes
source from Eat Live Run

Ingredients
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp nutmeg
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp melted butter
1 7-oz container Greek yogurt
½ cup milk
1 egg

Directions

  1. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, salt, cloves, nutmeg and brown sugar.
  2. In another bowl, combine the egg, melted butter, yogurt and milk. Combine the wet ingredients and the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
  3. Cook batter on a greased skillet until golden on both sides. Serve with butter and maple syrup.

yield 2-3 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment